20061116
Original sender: Eric----
I suppose I knew this would all be up and down.
JJ seemed brighter and more energetic this morning. I guess I was tardy letting him out and he had a bowel movement in the kitchen, thank goodness for old vinyl flooring. On our walk about the yard he did 2 teeters and the weave poles. I think he enjoyed it, he got that serious look on his face like it was good to be working. Of course he then vomited on the way to work.
I took JJ to the local Petsmart Vet for his follow up. When I spoke with the vet in Gainesville the other day we agreed that all she really needed was to see fresh bloodwork and to know his weight so we could evaluate his progress over the telephone.
His weight was up to 12.0 kg even after a potty stop and the barfing. He again was pleased to stop at the cash register and eat cookies. I limited his intake to 5 tiny treats (okay he got a couple of pea sized bits of my hamburger too). After his eating binge Tuesday, he had little appetite until late Wednesday. I theorized (having no training or expertise does not hinder the imagination) that the protein from Tuesday night caused his BUN to rise and that suppressed his appetite Wednesday. He did show an interest in food late on Wednesday, but he only got a couple of stroganoff-flavored mushroom slices.
Petsmart faxed me the results and I faxed them to Gainesville. I have not heard back to get an interpretation. I am able to ascertain that his BUN is down to 79 mg/dl from 105 at last check. The Petsmart vet commented that his blood looked thin and asked about anemia (apparently common in Renal Failure cases). This was news to me so as I peer at the results I do see his RBC (red blood cell count, I suppose) is at 3.84 and the normal range is 5.5 to 8.5. Part of me is scared he needs a transfusion.
I’m guessing this explains his frequent napping, again I have not spoken with a vet to find out what parts of his checkup are good, bad or unknown.
I’ll write more when I know more.
I suppose I knew this would all be up and down.
JJ seemed brighter and more energetic this morning. I guess I was tardy letting him out and he had a bowel movement in the kitchen, thank goodness for old vinyl flooring. On our walk about the yard he did 2 teeters and the weave poles. I think he enjoyed it, he got that serious look on his face like it was good to be working. Of course he then vomited on the way to work.
I took JJ to the local Petsmart Vet for his follow up. When I spoke with the vet in Gainesville the other day we agreed that all she really needed was to see fresh bloodwork and to know his weight so we could evaluate his progress over the telephone.
His weight was up to 12.0 kg even after a potty stop and the barfing. He again was pleased to stop at the cash register and eat cookies. I limited his intake to 5 tiny treats (okay he got a couple of pea sized bits of my hamburger too). After his eating binge Tuesday, he had little appetite until late Wednesday. I theorized (having no training or expertise does not hinder the imagination) that the protein from Tuesday night caused his BUN to rise and that suppressed his appetite Wednesday. He did show an interest in food late on Wednesday, but he only got a couple of stroganoff-flavored mushroom slices.
Petsmart faxed me the results and I faxed them to Gainesville. I have not heard back to get an interpretation. I am able to ascertain that his BUN is down to 79 mg/dl from 105 at last check. The Petsmart vet commented that his blood looked thin and asked about anemia (apparently common in Renal Failure cases). This was news to me so as I peer at the results I do see his RBC (red blood cell count, I suppose) is at 3.84 and the normal range is 5.5 to 8.5. Part of me is scared he needs a transfusion.
I’m guessing this explains his frequent napping, again I have not spoken with a vet to find out what parts of his checkup are good, bad or unknown.
I’ll write more when I know more.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home