Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Wednesday Update

Original sender: Eric----
Good afternoon agility fans.

I just got back from the University of Florida, School of Veterinary Medicine, Small Animal Clinic in Gainesville. I brought the little guy back with me.

He’s moving much better than a week ago. He saw the van and trotted right over and seemed disappointed when I made him pee before letting him in. He must be feeling some better; he grumbled at being lifted into the crate.

He still has a bunch of stitches from last week’s surgery. The back half of his body is shaved so you can see his old ACL scars. His stump looks particularly funny hairless. They took out one of the drains this morning but he still has one left in. It is a negative pressure drain so it needs periodic cleaning. It is kind of neat. The tube goes into the wound at the hip and down the leg. There is a “grenade” attached to the end of the tube to create suction. It is a molded plastic squeeze bulb that after it is emptied of fluids we squeeze out all the air and re-plug the hole. In its efforts to regain shape it sucks the fluid out of the wound. I’m to measure and keep a log to see when his daily excreta falls to about 30ml/day. At that point it should be about what is normal and the drain can be removed.

He’s not eating well. I offered him parts of a Burger King Enormous Breakfast Omelet Sandwich; he would take a few bits of each part and then lose interest. Some cheesy bread got a sniff. A couple of tater tots enjoyed some mastication and were mostly swallowed. A few nibbles of egg and a bite of sausage. He even spit out some bacon. All of this is better than he was 2 weeks ago it is just so far out of character it makes me worry.

His leg also needs massage to try to continue to reduce the swelling. Hope, the vet student, described the warm compress and the massage four times a day and mentioned that JJ really liked that part and would climb into a lap to get his treatment. His discharge write up mentions that he is a favorite of the staff.

We’ll be going back for a recheck on Sunday. I hope to get his agility training schedule approved so maybe he can get busy with something he likes (and develops an appetite). Okay, so I doubt a training schedule is forthcoming, but we (or I) need something to look forward to. We might have to limit it to 2on 2off touches on a ramp to get out of the van until his hind end musculature starts to recover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home